Northern Pacific Railway was charted by Congress in 1864. The goal was to connect the vast stretches of land between the Great Lakes to the Puget Sound on the Pacific. The modern day NP field their flagship train, North Coast Limited and their secondary train, Mainstreeter between Chicago via CB&Q and Seattle.
These heavyweight clerestory baggage-express cars were built by Pullman in 1915. They lasted in revenue service for some 51 years . . . until sometime in 1966 when they were transferred to Maintenance-of-Way service as used as Outfit Tool Cars. Measured 70’-10” over end sills and 74’-2-1/4” over buffers.
The lettering style for these baggage-express cars reflect the North Coast Limited style and not the older heavyweight and freight equipment fonts. They were painted in the then standard Two-Tone Green with White as developed by Raymond Loewry, the famous industrial designer.
An interesting note about the origins of the Northern Pacific logo: Inspired by Taijitu on the Korean Flag (also commonly known as the yin and yang) at the Chicago’s World’s Fair in 1893, E.H. McHenry of Northern Pacific sent sketches of this symbol to C.S. Fee who collaborated on this logo which became the familiar mark of the Northern Pacific Railway.